The Venus de Milo (also known as the Aphrodite of Milos) is one of the most famous ancient Greek statues. The marble statue which is a few inches short of seven feet tall was created in the first century BC to honor Aphrodite, the goddess of love and beauty.
The statue was broken in half and arms were missing when it was discovered in 1820 by a Greek peasant on the island of Milos. A French officer came to the site, excavated the statue, and arranged for it to be taken to France where it is on permanent display in the Louvre Museum in Paris. It was probably the work of Alexandros of Antioch, not Praxiteles.
Although the arms are missing, enough pieces remain to see that her right hand held up her drape at her hips and the left hand held an apple which still survives. The statue and clothing would have been painted, as most statues of the time were, and was adorned with jewelry.
Tomorrow, Another Aphrodite.